Life Update

I’ve realized that most of my recent posts have been about travel, people visiting me, or big events.  I think it’s time for a basic update on my life.  So here’s the news since Christmas. 

·         This semester, I started tutoring a 10th grade student in English, 2 nights a week.  He speaks very little English, which was the main thing holding him back in the class.  I do my best to translate/summarize each of the piece of literature he reads in class into Spanish and make sure he understands the plot of each.  I’m not sure if it’s the best method to take, but it helped him pass the first test, at least. 

·         Our mouse problem from the beginning of January seems to have more or less gone away.  Or they’ve just become much sneakier.  Either way, we haven’t seen or caught one in over a month, and that’s just fine with me. 

·         As far as school goes, in 8th grade I’ve been teaching a poetry unit (which has been really fun), and in 7th grade I’ve been finishing up a research unit (which has not been really fun).  3rd quarter ends next Friday (whoa!), and I am excited for 4th quarter in both grades, because it brings a novel for 8th grade and a drama unit for 7th.

·         On our street, we girls have been having the curse of car trouble…except for me, making me the official driver to school each morning.  Kelsey’s car broke down back over Thanksgiving, and the mechanic has had it now for almost 2 months.  Latest update is that it’s running, but awaiting final touches.  Jenni’s car is also with a mechanic, because she was in a minor accident last weekend.  No people hurt, which is the important thing. 
However, the end is in sight, and hopefully both cars will be fixed by the end of this week.  I almost can’t imagine having 3 cars for 4 people again!!

·         January was Puerto Rico’s “winter” and every afternoon was beautifully cool.  Maybe it’s just me…but I feel like it’s starting to get hotter again.  Also, the weather has been very dry.  The hillsides (and roadsides) have been burning in spontaneous brush fires continuously since January.  Last week there was a big fire on one of the hills behind Walmart.  You could see the flames and pillar of ugly brown smoke for miles.  I’m looking forward to the rainy season, when the hills turn green again.

·         Other things I’m looking forward to:

o   My sister Liz comes to visit me in 9 days!
o   Over spring break in April, 4 of us are taking a 7 day cruise leaving out of San Juan.
o   In July, I’m going to Peru!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cambodia: Reflections and Highlights

DI Globals 2016: A Tale of Two Teams

Yearly Update: The Journey to 30