Fashion MISTAKE


I knew even as I was walking towards the school’s entrance this morning that I’d made an error in choosing my outfit for the day.  My school director stopped his conversation with another teacher to say good morning to me, and when one of my 8th grade students said hello, she definitely looked me up and down and smiled a bit too wide.  By the time I reached my classroom, I had been told how nice I looked by 2-3 more people, and the halls weren’t even full yet. 

When I stopped into the office to check my mail box, the secretary asked me which awards show I was headed to, and when a male teacher said good morning, the intonation read less as “hello” and much more as “How YOU doin’?”  All of these comments were combined with a look that took me in head to toe rather than just meeting my eyes. 

Second period when my students came in, I was seated at my desk.  Even so, they commented on how nice I looked, and asked where I was going.  (Why is that a common question when one looks nice at school?  If I had a date after school (as many of them apparently guessed), chances are I would not go directly to it without going home first.)  My 8th graders 2nd period were waiting for me to stand up so they could ogle the entire outfit.  I joked that I thought I would teach the entire class from behind my desk, but eventually I had to stand and pass back papers.  As I did, the entire class let out a whooping cheer.  I’m serious. 

When I left the house this morning, I thought I looked nice, and I expected a few compliments.  I did NOT expect to feel like I was being looked at like a sex object in the workplace.  The last thing I need is to be told I’m sexy by 8th grade boys.  (Yes.  This did happen today.  Multiple times.) 

Needless to say, I will be going to school for the next week in baggy sweaters and a turtleneck pulled up to my ears, if I can find one, as well as baggy, shapeless dress pants.  I’d rather be dowdy and fashion-backwards than receive the kind of attention I got today. 

This was the dress in question.  I wore a tank top
under it (so the neckline wasn't low)
and didn't wear a necklace.
I really didn't think it was scandalous...

Comments

  1. Ow ow hoochie momma! Lol...I always enjoy reading your blogs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cambodia: Reflections and Highlights

DI Globals 2016: A Tale of Two Teams

Yearly Update: The Journey to 30